Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 11, 2017 3:33 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        5 0

Untitled title

Hi guys, been a little while! Hope everyone's doing well.

I've really been lagging getting on board the whole SSL/https train for my main site (aside from the 3rd party CC/signup forms), but am doing so now. Thing is I've got no idea which SSL cert vendors to go with. Which ones are popular in our industry, any recommendations?

This would be for the tour area & other public facing pages at DeltaofVenus.com. I have no idea if some SSL companies don't work with adult material or whatever, so any other info as it pertains to us would be cool if you want to share.

This post was edited by roberto at August 11, 2017 3:34 PM PDT
    • August 11, 2017 9:56 PM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        52 0

Untitled title

Missed ya man! I just wanted to say hi... I otherwise have no answer on SSL, sorry.

YNOT MAIL - THE BEST ADULT MAILING SOLUTION
      Contact me to advertise on YNOT.com and have your brand seen by thousands of adult business people daily!

• August 12, 2017 8:07 AM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        3 0

Untitled title

Ask your host if they support Let's Encrypt (or something similar). They're free and really good. You set it up once and never have to worry about it because part of the process is that it auto-renews itself.

But the auto-renewal can be a problem if 1) your host doesn't set it up properly and it doesn't renew. So after it's first set up check the expiration date on your certificate (your browser has the information if you dig around a bit), and then set a calendar reminder to check again a few days before it expires to see if it's been renewed. And 2) if you have multiple domains on one "virtual host" and you don't renew one of your domains, then the cert doesn't get renewed and you have problems. That sort of set up isn't common – you'll only encounter it if you have multiple sites served off the same directory on your server. The solution is to tell your host every time you don't renew a domain name.

This post was edited by S3X_jay at August 12, 2017 8:09 AM PDT
    • August 16, 2017 10:40 AM PDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        5 0

Untitled title

Thanks for the info S3X. As a rule I avoid free services for my main site, although in this case it looks like Let's Encrypt is a true nonprofit rather than a "what's the catch" free service. I still worry about resources & speed with something that everyone can just sign up for.

I wound up going with the most predictable service in Godaddy, so I don't have much room to talk in that area. It took a little work to get it working correctly with my CMS (especially delivering media also in https, instead of just the pages) but seems to be working well. Too small a sample size to know for sure, but there does seem to be an uptick in sales. Some browsers like Chrome really started giving dire warnings when navigating to non SSL content, depending on the user's warning settings, and I had enough potential customers email me asking about them to realize it's basically a must at this point.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel